How it works
1. Interested postal patrons register to participate in the program. Brochures are available from your local post office or by calling 311.
2. Your letter carrier will be authorized to place a Carrier Alert sticker in your mailbox which will alert all letter carriers to watch your mail for unusual accumulation.
3. If your letter carrier finds an accumulation of mail that is unusual for you and you have not covered the Carrier Alert sticker to signal that you will be away for a few days, he or she will notify their supervisor who will then notify the "Agency".
4. The Agency will then try to contact you by phone. If you cannot be reached, the agency personnel will try to reach one of the emergency contacts whom you have listed as a contact in case of emergency.
5. If your emergency contacts cannot be reached, the Agency will notify 911... to check on your health and well being.