Provided by many fire departments and other emergency services throughout the state.
The Vial of Life is a smart way to have your medical information on hand just in case of an emergency. Everybody should have a Vial of Life form filled out especially for seniors because of their constant medical changes and medications.
Put the "vial" with your filled out form in your refrigerator door, you may also carry a copy of the form in your wallet, put one in your glove compartment and pack one in your suitcases if travelling.
If Emergency Services Personnel come to your aid, they would like to know:
Who you are… what medications you are using… what illnesses you have… who is your emergency contact person… what is your normal blood pressure… are you wearing hearing or seeing devices… do you speak English… and, if not, what language do you speak?
When you get to the hospital… they want to know more. What insurance do you have, etc. These are very annoying questions when you don’t feel well, and sometimes you may not recall the answers because of your condition.
The Vial of Life speaks for you when you can’t speak or don’t feel well. Protect yourself, and all of your family members… all it will cost you is a little time.
So what do you do once you have a Vial for Life kit?
1. Fill out the Vial of Life form
• Fill out the backside of the Vial of Life form. Answer all or any pertinent questions.
• Make blank copies of this form to keep your information current.
2. Place the decal on the tube
• Place the form you filled out in the plastic tube.
3. Place the tube inside your refrigerator door
• Place the magnet on your refrigerator – this should be on the front side of the refrigerator, for EMS personnel to see and access.
As your health or other information changes be certain to update your Vial for Life information.
In Lexington, Contact
Fire Prevention/Community Services
211 E. Third St.
Lexington, Ky. 40508, 859-231-5668