Senior - Headlines

Working Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors save lives!


What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.

Where does carbon monoxide come from?

CO gas can come from several sources: gas-fired appliances, charcoal grills, wood-burning furnaces or fireplaces and motor vehicles.

Who is at risk?

Everyone is at risk for CO poisoning. Medical experts believe that unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens and people with heart or lung problems are at even greater risk for CO poisoning.
WHAT ACTIONS DO I TAKE IF MY CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM GOES OFF?

What you need to do if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off depends on whether anyone is feeling ill or not.

If no one is feeling ill:
1. Call 911
2. Turn off all appliances and sources of combustion (i.e. furnace and fireplace).
3. Have the fire department check for the presence of possible CO buildup.

If illness is a factor: Call 911
1. Evacuate all occupants immediately.
2. Determine how many occupants are ill and determine their symptoms.
3. Do not re-enter the home without the approval of a Fire Department
Representative.
4. Have the Fire Department check CO levels and provide medical services if needed.

PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY FROM CO POISONING
• Install at least one carbon monoxide alarm with an audible warning signal evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), near the sleeping areas and outside individual bedrooms. Carbon monoxide alarms measure levels of CO over time and are designed to sound an alarm before an average, healthy adult would experience symptoms.

It is very possible that you may not be experiencing symptoms when you hear the alarm. This does not mean that CO is not present.

• Have a qualified professional or your fuel companies technician to check all fuel burning appliances, furnaces, venting and chimney systems at least once a year.

• Never use your range or oven to help heat your home and never use a charcoal grill or hibachi in your home or garage.

• Never keep a car running in a garage. Even if the garage doors are open, normal circulation will not provide enough fresh air to reliably prevent a dangerous buildup of CO.


WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 206653871 - wkyt.com/a?a=206653871