A Senior Minute Headlines
Communicating with your Health Care Professionals
- It is important to develop a partnership with the health care professional, especially your primary care physician. It is your primary care doctor who should be making referrals to specialists and coordinating your overall medical care.
Research Opportunities for Older Adults
- A clinical trial is a research study that involves human volunteers to help answer specific health questions and develop new treatments or interventions related to a medical condition.
- Criminals sometimes try to use the mail as an easy and inexpensive way to find victims. Don’t fall for these scams.
Senior Medicare Patrol
- The focus of Senior Medicare Patrol (S.M.P.) is to help people prevent, detect and report Medicare fraud and abuse, a multibillion dollar problem in America. Medicare fraud occurs when Medicare is billed for goods or services that have not been provided.
Mental Health and Aging Brains - Use It or Lose It!
- Just as we exercise our bodies to keep them in working order, so must we exercise our brains to stay mentally agile and adept. It’s the use-it-or-lose-it theory. By engaging in mentally stimulating activities, we can maintain our brain functions as we age.
What can a Senior Center do for you?
- The Older Americans Act of 1965 laid the foundation for what was to become Senior Centers and the Aging Services Network, including the Area Agencies on Aging that support them.
Free Computer Classes at the Lexington Public Library
- At the Lexington Public Library, we offer free computer classes for anyone in the community. You can learn a variety of skills and programs in the classes.
Senior Eye Health
- Medical conditions that can occur more commonly in seniors will also affect the eyes such as: diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammatory diseases, cancers and other systemic conditions.
New Horizons Music Organization
- Contrary to popular belief, it is never to late to learn to play music. Adults of any age can be taught a musical instrument and can also learn to read music.
- The newest service offered by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government is the Carrier Alert Program.
More A Senior Minute Headlines