A quick round-up of some football notes from the weekend.
* Thomas Varney (Belfrey) had a massive game in the Pirates 53-23 win over Whitley County. Varney broke the school record for most TD in a single game with 7 (including one on a kick-off return).
* Speaking of Kick-off return touchdowns, Pulaski County had another one in their 47-41 win over Rockcastle County. The Maroons are the Virginia Tech of the Mountains. (That means that they have explosive special teams).
* The Hazard Bulldogs played extremely well on both sides of the ball in their 63-8 win over Williamsburg. But it's the defense that looked extremely sharp. Williamsburg entered the game with the states second leading pass attack. Hazard pressured all night long (including one of the biggest hits on a QB that I have ever seen in a high school game, by Allan Fugate) and never let Ryan Moses get comfortable.
* Jordan Amis (Perry Central showed his passing ability Friday night completing 18-22 passes for 304 yards and 5 TDs in the Commodores win over Logan, WV. Jay White caught 8 of those passes for 205 yards and 4 TDs. Not bad. Not bad, at all. They should have a wild game against Letcher Central this Friday night.
* Dalton Lewis ran for 293 and 3 TDs in East Ridge's 37-32 win over Hurley, VA.
* Many fans are upset that Kentucky did not beat UofL by more. Isn't it nice that people have high expectations for UK football now? We'll have to see how it goes against Florida.
* Speaking of close wins... Florida beat Tennessee 23-13. Apparantly that was a moral victory for the Vols. We'll have to see if that really means anything in the weeks to come. But UT's defense is tough, that much we know (and we also know that Eric Berry is one seriously good football player).
* Redshirt Freshman John Cole (Somerset) led Vanderbilt in receiving in their 15-3 loss to Mississippi State. Cole had 3 catches for 32 yards. Cole is now second on the team in receptions (5) and third in yards (52) despite missing their first game.
* Lee Renfro (Southwestern) had 11 tackles for Ohio University in the Bobcats 28-10 win over Cal-Poly on Saturday. He is currently second on the team in tackles (30), second in tackles for loss (4.0) and tied for first in sacks (1).
* Zack Marcum (South Laurel) had 4 catches for 46 yards in Troy's 27-14 win over UAB. Marcum is tied for 2nd on the team with 7 receptions and is 4th in yards with 75.
* The Bengals offense appears to have resurfaced. Cincinnati had 319 total yards and 4 offensive TDs in their 31-28 win over Green Bay.
* Antwan Odom is the man. He tied a franchise record with 5 QB sacks. He now has 7 on the season after only 2 weeks.
* Drew Brees is on pace to throw 72 touchdowns this season. While I'm sure he will slow down at some point, is out of the realm of possibility to think of him throwing 60?
~ Jeff Archer