Notes from the past weekend.
* It was a good week for the Mountain Top 10. I think that's the first time we have been able to say that all year. The Top 7 teams all won. 8,9 and 10 all lost to teams ranked higher than them in the Mountain Top 10.
* There were a pair of big wins in Class A, District 8 on Friday. Pikeville beat Allen Central 34-24. That means that the Panthers control their own destiny. Phelps beat Betsy Layne 14-8. The Hornets are in an excellent position to make the playoffs.
* Bell County proved why they're the number 1 team in the Mountain Top 10 with a dominating 42-6 win over Rockcastle County. Davenport had 165 yards and 3 TDs in the game.
* Letcher Central and Perry Central gave us an entertaining game with the Cougars making a pair of tough defensive stops in the Fourth to deny the Commodores.
* Prestonsburg has proven that they can win the close games. I offer 28-21 over Belfry, 26-25 over Breathitt County and 24-19 over Sheldon Clark as evidence.
* John Cole (Somerset) is having a break-out Red-shirt Freshman season for Vanderbilt. He scored Vandy's first touchdown of the game (on a 31-yard run) in the Commodores 36-17 win over Rice. Cole also had 7 catches for 67 yards. John ranks first on Vanderbilt's squad in catches (12) and second in yards (119).
* Zack Marcum (South Laurel) had the best game of his career for Troy in their 30-27 win over Arkansas State. Marcum hauled in 6 passes for 75 yards. He ranks second in catches (13) and third in yards (150) for Troy.
* Lee Renfro (Southwestern) had a solid game against Tennessee on Saturday in Ohio University's 34-23 loss to UT. He made 6 tackles in the game. He ranks second on the team in tackles (36) and tackles for loss (4.5).
* #6 University of the Cumberlands remained perfect on the season beating Cumberlands (TN) University 14-13.
* Pikeville College got their first win of the season for new Head Coach Joe Johnson, knocking off Kentucky Christian 28-14. They did it by forcing 8 turnovers (scoring on 3 of them). The Bears only offensive touchdown of the game came on the first play from scrimmage, a TD run by Nick Jamerson (Prestonsburg).
* 31-0 after the 1st Quarter. I don't have to say anything else.
* One other note... UK won their next game after losing 63-5 to Florida last year. They also won their next game after losing 49-0 to LSU in 2006.
* Of course, both of those games were against Mississippi State, not Alabama. Either way, UK has proven that they can forget a game and move on the next week under Rich Brooks.
* The last time the Bengals beat the Steelers at home was 2001. Think about that for a while.
* Watching the Bengals offense from week to week is like watching the tide come in and go out. One week it is there, the next it is gone. I know they won, but they are consistently inconsistent.
* What won the game for the Bengals was converting 2 fourth downs on the final drive.
* What lost the game for the Steelers was a short stretch in the Third quarter where their wide receivers made a pair of seriously bad plays. First Santonio Holmes didn't make the hot read on a blitz leading to a Johnathan Joseph Pick 6. On the next drive, Limas Sweed dropped a wide open touchdown. That's a 13 point swing. That's your game.
* I will say this much for the Bengals. All of their games have been interesting so far this season. What will they do (or not do) next? Stay tuned.
Any other thoughts? As always, thanks for supporting your local teams.
~ Jeff Archer