I got to thinking (never a good thing), if I picked a bracket based only on the AP Poll, the Coaches Poll, RPI or the Kenpom ratings, who would win? To answer the question, I did the research and created the brackets and put them into a bracket contest on Yahoo.com. I then also tossed in the President's picks just for fun.
Here are the standings and some notes after the first 2 rounds:
1.) Coaches Poll - 49 Points (Kansas)
2.) Kenpom Ratings - 44 Points (Duke)
3.) Associated Press - 44 Points (Kansas)
4.) President Obama - 43 Points (Kansas)
5.) RPI - 40 Points (Kansas)
* The RPI is drastically behind. What does that say about computers?
* The Coaches are looking really good. They have lost only 2 Elite 8 teams in the form of Kansas and Villanova
* The Kenpom rankings do not look good as a whole. The ratings had Wisconsin, BYU and Kansas all in the Elite 8, including having Wisconsin and Kansas in the Final 4. But, it is the only bracket that still has its champion left.
* The Associated Press has 6 of its Elite 8 teams left, and 3 of its Final 4. But it does not have its champion left.
* President Obama leaned heavily on the Big East. That strategy has not gone so well. He can still get Kansas State and Kentucky to the Final 4.
* While the RPI currently ranks in dead last, the Ratings system does have 6 of its 8 Elite teams left. Not bad. It lost Kansas, the same as everybody else.
Any thoughts? How do your brackets look?
~ Jeff Archer