A Week in Sports at WYMT: Day Six (Friday - Sports Overtime)

By: Derek Forrest
By: Derek Forrest

Here is day six (Friday), in sports at WYMT.

Here is day six (Friday), in sports at WYMT.

Friday may  be the most stressful, then most relaxed, by to stressful to relaxed day of the week. Ok, here we go.

2:30pm - When I get in at 2:30 on Friday's its pretty easy. Typically on a Friday, the 6pm is usually easy to figure out. Today we were getting highlights from MacKenzie in Frankfort of Magoffin Co. playing Owensboro Catholic. The night before we shot the UPike / Cumberlands women's game, so I thought it would of been a good opportunity to talk to Jade Howard (Cumberlands basketball player) who played for Magoffin Co from 2003-2007.  So we were able to run something from her on the team winning their first ever game at state. Mackenzie was putting together a story on all of the boys who played in the All "A" this year. Unfortunately, all of our teams were one and done. Finally, the KHSAA held their state draw today, so that was a must to include in our sportscasts.

So my 6pm was done before I even walked in the door, minus any breaking sports news.

So, when I walked in the door at 2:30pm, I had to put together a Locker Room segment that Josh and I had taped the day before. Normally the process of putting this together does not take long, but with answer phone calls and day and working on dubs of games for viewers, I was running a little behind.

3:48pm - After taking a call from my dad who I hadn't talked to for almost a week because I was so busy, I finally finished the Locker Room segment before the 4pm began. (That was the stressful part of the day).

4pm - After that was taken care of, I could relax and continue to work on the Sports Overtime, including making sure everything we were going to cover was in the show.

6:30pm - After the news was over, it was time to get ready to head to Perry Central for my lone game of the night between the #2 Commodores and the #9 Clay Co. Tigers. Now I typically shoot two games a night, but with no other local jumps for me to make and get back early enough, I just had the one game.

8pm - While shooting the game, I received a text from a former WYMT employee Peter O'Conner who informed me he was shooting the #1 Perry Central girls game at the Louisville Invitational Tournament and asked if I wanted the highlights. Well, the answer was of course!

8:15pm - (This is where its gets stressful again). I left the Perry boys game and headed back to the station, so I could finish putting the show together. Now that requires, cutting and writing the scripts for my game along with taking score as calls come in from coaches and fans at the games. It also including searching KHSAA.org and Bluegrassrivals.com for the scores of games as well.

(Let me stop right here and say, the more people that call in score, the less searching and less time it takes for us to do our job, so if you are at a game, please call the station and report the coreect score!).

While I do this, I patiently wait for MacKenzie and Josh, or whoever else is shooting games for us to return, so we can start to figure out who has our awartds segment. During basketball season, we have the play of the week and shot of the night. I knew with my two alley oops to Jaysean Paige that it was going to be play of the week. Its hard to top that.

9:30pm - Josh got back from his games first at Letcher Central, and thought that he might of had a shot but nothing special.

9:45pm - MacKenzie then walk in the door and said that he had a shot from the Rock / Pulaski boys game he was at. Just as I thought his play was going to be shot of the night. I received a tweet that Perry Kayla Rankin his a GW as time expired in the LIT. So at this point, I hopes that Peter had stayed to the end of the game so we could see, and use this play.

10:15pm - Peter's highlights came in from Louisville and as luck would have it, he stayed for the end of the game, and he talked to head coach Randy Napier about the win!

10:25pm - So at this point I thook the highlight and redited them, because Peter had sent some extra plays from earlier in the game that I could use.

10:55pm - This doesn't happen every Friday, but with 25 minutes to spare the show was completed and all I had to do was wait.

11:20pm - (Relaxing point of the night). Anchoring Sports Overtime is like driving to me. It is definitely a stress reliever. So it was time to do the show as I was anchoring alone tonight with MacKenzie working long days all week.

12am - When Sports Overtime is over, my night is not done. Afterwards we start working on putting several highlights together that run in the morning, during the CBS national morning show.

12:45am - We finished the taping for our morning cutins, so I then ran to get something to eat.

1:15am- I got back to the station and started to save all the video that I shot from Friday night of the Perry game, so I could stay ahead of the game. That way I don't have to worry about it later on this weekend or during the week. Mainly becuase I will be shooting college basketball highlights tomorrow (Saturday).

2:15am - Completed everything I needed to do, unpacked the car and started this blog. But now my night is over and begins again tomorrow with college basketball.

2:29am - So have a good night everyone!

- Rock


Read More Blogs
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability
Gray Television, Inc.