The Letter "B"...
Bluegrass State...so let's start with Basketball!
Basketball team I'd never want to play...the original Dream Team (and I mean actual team folks...no fantasy drafts of players you'd hate to play...an entire team as it was/is assembled):
- Magic Johnson (All-time leader in assists per game)
- Michael Jordan (6-time NBA Champion and 6-time Finals MVP, all-time NBA scoring leader in points per game (30.1), and fifth all-time in steals per game)
- Charles Barkley (20th all-time rebounds per game, 17th in total rebounds)
- Larry Bird (16th all-time in points per game, 10th all-time ft percentage)
- Clyde Drexler (7th all-time in total steals, part of "Phi Slama Jama" at University of Houston)
- Patrick Ewing (12th all-time total blocks)
- Karl Malone (6th all-time total blocks)
- Chris Mullin (5-time NBA All-Star)
- Scottie Pippen (26th all-time total assists)
- David Robinson (4th all-time blocks per game
- John Stockton (2nd all-time in assists per game, most steals all-time (751 more than Jordan) and 1st in total assists...leading Jason Kidd by over 4,000!!!!!)
- Christian Laettner (sorry Big Blue Nation but he was on the team!)
Now on to the mascots that carry the school BANNER. Most common college nicknames!
- Eagles (64...including such powerhouses as NAIA Biola University in California!)
- Tigers (46... how about NCAA Div. III East Texas Baptist University's loveable "Toby" the Tiger!)
- Bulldogs (40...Go Yale!)
- Lions (37...much praise to NCAA Div. II North Alabama's "Leo" the Lion)
- Wildcats (33...Other than UK, does it really matter...if you think it does (Arizona, Villanova and Cazenovia College in New York State). There, you've learned something today!
The list goes on...but let's get to the ones that are really unique shall we! We will start with the "B's" and go from there!
- Banana Slugs...it's California so go crazy! (UC Santa Cruz)
- Bloodhounds (John Jay College of Criminal Justice! That one was just too perfect! At last check still playing in NCAA Div. III)
- Chanticleers...it's like a bird basically (Coastal Carolina)
- Eutectics...Not going to lie, had to look this one up...not really a mascot, more like the definition of what the graduates do! (NAIA participant St. Louis College of Pharmacy)
- Judges (Brandeis University) These are too good sometimes!
- Pilgrims (New England College) Again, the poetry here is too much to pass up!
- Silverswords (Chaminade University)...you probably knew that one...thanks Maui Invitational!
- Mules (NCAA Div. III Colby College)
Hope that was as entertaining for you to read as it was for me to research! Great night of laughs! Send me your favorite mascot list at email@example.com or post it on facebook or twitter!
Check back for more fun here on "Beyond the Boxscores!"