The Letter "D"
Here's a list of athletes who've acted and the "signature" movie or show they appeared in:
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Game of Death, Airplane!) He was a really good ball player
- Muhammad Ali (Freedom Road) Louisville, Ky. native!
- Ray Allen (He Got Game) I'm sorry but I was not a fan of this movie...or UConn
- Andre the Giant (The Princess Bride) Such a great movie!
- Barry Bonds (Beverly Hills, 90210) Never saw this one...
- Brian Bosworth (Stone Cold) Brian Bosworth = Big Bust (XFL announcer...see earlier post)
- Terry Bradshaw (Failure to Launch) One of my favorite QB's of all-time
- Jim Brown (The Dirty Dozen) The running back
- John Cena (The Marine) Awesome movie
- Wilt Chamberlain (Conan the Destroyer) The greatest big man ever
- Roger Clemens (Kingpin) Pitched for the Lexington Legends
- Vlade Divac (Juwanna Man) So sweet on the Kings
- Julius Erving (The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh) What?
- Rick Fox (Oz) Oh Rick Fox
- Tony Hawk (CSI: Miami) CSI used to be good
- Hulk Hogan (Rocky III) Also in a movie "Thunder In Paradise" and its' sequels as Randolph J. Hurricane Spencer...I'm changing my name...(and don't forget Mr. Nanny)!
- Michael Irvin (The Longest Yard) 5x Pro-Bowl selection, 750 receptions and 65 TD's)
- Howie Long (3000 Miles to Graceland) Kevin Costner and Courtney Cox...Elvis impersonators...just watch watch it
- Shaq (Kazaam) also in Steel and Blue Chips. One of my favorite basketball personalities
- Dennis Rodman (Double Team)...Simon Sez he's an awful actor
- O.J. Simpson (The Naked Gun) One of the funniest movies around...watch it
- Lawrence Taylor (Any Given Sunday)...LT brought the "wood" every week...huge hitter
AND ACTORS WHO WERE ATHLETES!
- Randall Cobb (no not the one you know) - (Fletch Lives and Raising Arizona) heavyweight boxer from 1977-93
- Burt Reynolds (The Longest Yard (both of them), Deliverance) Florida State running back 1954
- Carl Weathers (Rocky and Rocky II) Oakland Raiders linebacker 1970-71
- Fred Williamson (M*A*S*H) Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs defensive back 1960-67
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (Faster, Fast Five, The Other Guys, Tooth Fairy, Race to Witch Mountain, The Game Plan, Gridiron Gang, Doom, Walking Tall, The Rundown, The Scorpion King, Get Smart, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End) Miami (FL) defensive tackle...part of 1991 National Championship team...replaced at the "U" by Warren Sapp after an injury...Johnson graduated from Miami in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science in criminology and physiology. Johnson continued his football career after graduation with the Canadian Football League's Calgary Stampeders after being passed over by the NFL, but he was cut two months into the season. He, of course, was also a professional wrestler with the WWF (later WWE)
My research is complete...I've had too many laughs to count (on the inside) because it's not polite to laugh out loud with co-workers around dubbing tapes :)
Check back for more awesome updates and the rest of the alphabet!
Follow me on Twitter @AlexWYMT and Facebook!