I received this Op-ed letter from Ken Bolin in support of Operation UNITE. Mr. Bolin is the pastor of the First Baptist Church in Manchester.
Drug abuse is a snake with many heads.
Until Operation Unite came along the only option seemed to be incarceration, which is expensive and non productive. Unite understood early that we cannot incarcerate ourselves out of the problem of Drug Abuse.
Unite is unique in that it treats Drug Abuse on many fronts and at every level. Here are just a few of the programs and initiatives that Unite funds and supports.
1.Built 2 world-class rehab centers - Westcare in Pikeville and Chads Hope Center in Manchester.
2.Funds local Unite coalitions
3.Funds camps for Youth like J-Creek, Hooked on fishing not on Drugs, Shoot hoops not Drugs with Jeff Shepherd.
4. Funds case workers for Drug Court. Before Unite there were only a few Drug Courts in Ky. Now every county has them.
5. Provide funds to hire Drug Counselors in ever school system in the 5th District.
6. Funds educational activities for law enforcement officials on latest trends and new drugs in the communities.
7. Provides $5,000 vouchers for the indigent to go to rehab for their addiction.
8. Supports local police forces with assistance in investigating drug cases.
9.Provides a Drug tip hotline for citizens who suspect drug activity in their communities.
10. Provides a treatment hotline for those seeking help for their addictions.
11. Brings together local churches and Pastors to care for addicts and their families.
12. Unite provides literature and other resources to help addicts and their families.
Mr. Combs seems to be hung up on the money Unite has spent. But what about the dozens of drug free babies born to mothers in drug court saving hospitals and taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars expensive specialized care.
Has Mr. Combs considered the hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution and child support payments paid by drug court participants that would not have normally been paid?
Why did he seem to miss these important facts? Maybe Mr. Combs should stop writing college research papers criticizing Unite and join the fight against drugs.
Click here to read Op-ed: Critic of Operation UNITE
Click here to read Operation UNITE responds to criticism: What is the cost of doing nothing?
Do you have an opinion you want to share? Let me know your thoughts. You can comment on this blog or send me your “Letter to the Editor”.
Here’s is the policy:
Email your letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters should be no more than 300 words. However, exceptions will be made at the discretion of WYMT.
We reserve the right to edit and/or reject letters for content, clarity and length. Please do not make personal attacks, libelous or inappropriate statements.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks for making WYMT-TV your source for news and information. We appreciate your trust.
God Bless America!
Neil Middleton <><
WYMT Mountain News
Appreciate Freedom – Thank a Vet!
Follow me on Twitter