Six State High School Champions will be crowned this weekend in Bowling Green Kentucky. The Russell Athletic Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl takes place Dec 2nd and 3rd at Westerm Kentucky University’s L.T. Smith Houchens Stadium. The following are some key facts for the upcoming games.
· Highlands will be seeking state title number 21 against Franklin Simpson in a Saturday Class 4A afternoon game at 3:00pm CT. Mr. Football front runner Patrick Towles has 41 Touchdown passes and only one interception leading a very talented Bluebird attack. On the other side, Darrius Wickware heads up a very talented Franklin Simpson offense.
· Class 6A Louisville Trinity ranked #1 in the nation in most polls takes on Scott County Friday night at 7:00pm CT.Trinity and Coach Bob Beatty are seeking a record 22nd state crown. Juniors are at the top of the class for the Rocks led by quarterback Travis Wright and fellow classmate James Quick. Quick is considered one of the best three sport stars in Kentucky. Scott County is 14-0 this year under Coach Jim McKee. Ben Lawler is the senior leader for the Cardinals. Josh Walls leads a great group of players in the backfield.
· In Class A, Mayfield is seeking back to back titles under Joe Morris on Friday at 11;00a.m. CT. The Cardinals have another Mr. Football Candidate in Jonathon Jackson who is a big time player on both sides of the football. For Hazard Evan Whitaker quarterbacks a balanced Bulldog attack. Mark Dixon has the dogs back at state for the second time in three seasons.
· Bowling Green under Kevin Wallace takes an undefeated team into Saturday nights 5A finale on Saturday at 7:00pm. CT. The Purples have been impressive all season. Anderson County, under Coach Mark Peach is a surprise team in the finals, since their opening game of the season with a lopsided loss to Bryan Station. Coach Peach has some big weapons in Seth Carmichael and Ethan Kelly both setting school records for the Bearcats.
· Louisville Central makes another Class 3A state finals appearance under Tyrell Scroggins on Saturday at 11;00a.m. CT. Senior running back Anthony Wales is a big reason the Jackets are back. Belfry is the opponent with Coach Phillip Haywood’s Pirates and a strong running game. Haywood just recently became the all time winningest coach with a victory over Pikeville.
· Holy Cross from Covington under Bruce Kozerski is the biggest surprise in the Class 2A football dance this year on Friday at 3:00pm CT. The Indians knocked off defending champion Newport Central Catholic in the regional final. Glasgow is the opponent for Holy Cross. The Scotties and Coach Rick Wood have a big time weapon in Jalen Sublett. This should be a terrific game.
Join the Russell Athletic-KHSAA Radio network for all the games on WVLK- FM 101.5
And don’t forget to watch the Scholastic Ball Report Saturday at 11:30 on CW-KYT with all the highlights.