1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup (8 ounces) fresh ricotta cheese, well-drained
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Canola oil for frying
1) Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium size mixing bowl. While you can use ground nutmeg, whole nutmeg adds a warm, seasonal note that the ground stuff simply can't match.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and ricotta cheese.
3) Add the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until slightly thick batter forms.
4) In a heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, heat oil to 375 degrees.
5) With two spoons, or a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, add batter to oil. Be careful to not add too much as the oil temperature could drop as a result.
6) Fry for two minutes or until golden brown.
7) Toss immediately into cinnamon sugar or pumpkin pie spice & sugar.