GEORGETOWN, Ky. (WKYT) - JLS Mini Storage was one of three space heater related fires in the past two weeks that the Scott County Fire Department has responded to. Now, with arctic air coming into the forecast, it's important you know these heating safety tips.
According to the Scott County Fire Department, after someone mixed the wrong fuel into their space heater it exploded causing part of the JLS Mini Storage complex to burn down. Now, before the cold sets in across the bluegrass, fire officials are stressing the importance of safety when using these heaters. Assistant Chief James Kanavy with the Scott County Fire Department says he recommends people make sure they have a UL (Underwriters Laboratory) listed space heater, which has gone through rigorous safety standards.
"We want to make sure to keep them at least 3 to 5 feet away from any Class-A combustibles, or furniture, or something like that. If you're using an alternative fuel heater, we want to make sure that you put the proper fuel, per the manufacturer recommendation. We also recommend that if they're electric heaters, that you don't plug them into any kind of extension cord, power strips, anything like that", stated Assistant Chief James Kanavy, Scott County Fire Department.
Assistant Chief Kanavy goes onto explain that most heaters in today's market have gone through UL testing and also suggests getting a heater that automatically shuts off if it's tipped over.