Lexington woman seriously injured in overnight house fire dies

By  | 

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - A woman has died after suffering severe injuries in an overnight house fire in Lexington.

The fire started around 1:20 a.m. Tuesday on Bellmeade Road, off Redding Road, near Landsdowne Drive.

The Fayette County Coroner's Office says 79-year-old Dixie O'Nan died of smoke inhalation.

Investigators say it appears the fire started in the bedroom area of the home. That's also where firefighters found O'Nan, unresponsive.

She was transported to the hospital for serious injuries where she later died.

Neighbors told WKYT that O’Nan mostly kept to herself.

About 40 firefighters responded to the early morning house fire. Crews say they had the fire under control in about 40 minutes.

While the cause of the fire is under investigation, firefighters say tomorrow starts the peak season for house fires, due to holiday cooking, decorations, heating sources, and unused chimneys that get lit for special holiday occasions.

“Really, the less you use your fireplace, the more dangerous it can be. If you’re planning to have a fire, if family is coming over for the holidays and that’s part of your celebration, it’s a good idea to have someone who is certified to check that equipment and check your chimney,” Lexington Fire Chief Joe Best said.

While the home does have a chimney, there is no indication that it contributed to the fire.

Investigators also said they did not hear smoke alarms while inside the house, it's unclear at this time if any working detectors had been found in the home.

The Kerr Brothers funeral home is now handling O’Nan’s funeral arrangements.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus