San Juan mayor pushes back on Trump admin

Photo: Meaghan Thomas / Twitter
By  | 

WASHINGTON (AP) - The mayor of San Juan says the suffering in hurricane-damaged Puerto Rico is "not a good news story."

Acting Homeland Secretary Elaine Duke had suggested as much a day earlier in the White House driveway, saying the federal response to the aftermath of Hurricane Maria is "a good news story" and adding that "the relief effort is under control."

But Carmen Yulin Cruz, the mayor of the U.S. island's largest city, heatedly denied that. She said on CNN: "This is a people-are-dying story."

Duke was one of several members of the Trump administration Thursday to push back against reporting that the federal government was slow to respond to the storm, which knocked out power and left Puerto Rico's 3.4 million people short of food and water.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus