Space heater in closet causes fire in Clay City

Firefighters say a space heater being used the thaw frozen pipes is to blame for a fire at a Clay City home on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
By  | 

POWELL COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT)- A Powell County man's home is unlivable after firefighters say he left a space heater turned on in a closet to thaw out frozen pipes.

Officials say the fire happened on Fourth Street in Clay City Wednesday afternoon. They say the man who lived in the home noticed his pipes in a bathroom closet were freezing and placed a space heater in the closet to thaw them out. Instead, firefighters say the heater caused a fire that spread into the attic.

Firefighters tell WKYT the man was not home at the time of the fire and received a call informing him that smoke was coming out of the home. Firefighters were able to put out the fire. They say the house is not livable at this time but is not a total loss.

The man living in the home says he will stay with relatives for the time being.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus