Flag Day Parfaits Thursday, June 14, 2012
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract - or ground vanilla if you have it!
1 8 ounce package of fresh blueberries
1 8 ounce package of fresh sweet cherries, pitted and quartered
Fresh whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan.
2. Sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a mixer with the whisk attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Working in batches, alternately add buttermilk and flour/salt mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
4. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pan.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tops are set and a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for ten minutes in cake pans.
6. Turn cakes out onto wire cooling racks, and cool completely before cutting.
7. Using a small biscuit cutter, or the rim of a parfait glass or champagne flute, cut the cooled cakes into rounds. Starting with a round of cake, place cake into bottom of glass. Top with a layer of blueberries, another layer of cake, a layer of cherries, and finish with freshly whipped cream. Garnish with a couple of blueberries or a fresh cherry (or both!).