3-6 lbs country style pork ribs
1-2 TBSP olive oil
kosher salt and cracked black pepper
2 carrots, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
2 medium onions, diced
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3-6 ounces tomato paste
3-4 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. Sprinkle ribs on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Brown ribs on all sides, working in batches and setting aside as they brown.
3. Pour off excess oil, and in the same pan, saute carrots, celery and onion until fragrant, about 2-3 mnutes. Pour in apple cider vinegar, scraping up brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Return ribs to the pan, add tomato paste, broth, bay leaves and red pepper.
4. EITHER, simmer on the very lowest setting (liquid should not boil - just barely bubble at the edges) on the stovetop, or place entire Dutch oven in a 250F for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Alternately, the entire mixture can be transferred to a slow cooker and cooked on low for 6-8 hours.
5. Skim excess fat off the top of the liquid, and serve pork and vegetables over rice.