Karen Peek Be Your Own ChefClick here for more recipes
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
4-5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 diced red onion
¼ - ½ lb chopped cremini mushrooms
¼ lb deli-sliced pepperoni, cut into small pieces
¼ - ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1-2 chopped green onions
1-2 cloves grated/chopped garlic
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (1 tsp dried)
1-2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 whole wheat tortillas
1. Preheat quesadilla press (if using one).
2. Brown chicken in stovetop skillet over medium-high heat with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. Allow chicken pieces to release from skillet before turning them to cook the other side. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
3. Once chicken has almost browned, mix in onion and mushrooms until tender.
4. Then add pepperoni to skillet and mix all together. Reduce heat to low.
5. In a small bowl, add balsamic vinegar, mustard, 3-4 Tbsp olive oil, green onions, garlic, and parsley. Mix well.
6. Brush mixture with basting brush/pastry brush onto one side of all tortillas.
7. On half of each tortilla, sprinkle half the cheeses. Then spoon chicken and vegetables on top of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
8. Fold over the other half of each tortilla onto the cheese and press to close.
9. Cook each quesadilla in a quesadilla press, microwave, or skillet until cheese is melted. If cooking in skillet, lower heat to low- to medium. Then, flip halfway through cooking process to brown each side of tortilla. Serves 4.
Original Ingredient: Replace With:
chicken breasts boneless skinless chicken thighs, steaks, pork, portobello mushrooms, eggplant, or extra firm tofu
extra-virgin olive oil vegetable oil, butter/margarine, or dairy-free margarine
red onion yellow or white onion
cremini mushrooms any type of mushrooms
deli-sliced pepperoni packaged pepperoni, thinly sliced soy-based pepperoni, pancetta, prosciutto, salami, or pastrami
green onions chives
garlic cloves ⅛ - ¼ tsp garlic powder or ½ tsp minced garlic
parsley chervil, cilantro, arugula, or basil
cheeses any type of shredded cheese or soy-based cheese
whole wheat tortillas flour tortillas or gluten-free tortillas