WKYT - Good Question - Headlines

Good Question:How do you keep your pets safe and your yard looking green?

This time of year many people are out working in their yard, but you could be spreading around and planting poison for your dog.

Good Question: How do you keep your pets safe and your yard looking green?

Liz Burwell says her dogs are always getting into something.

"They're always digging, sniffing they find nooks and crannies you didn't know was there." said Liz Burwell, the owner of five dogs.

Being nosy for a dog can can be dangerous.

"Once a month we are dealing with- what did they eat they shouldn't have eaten?" said Burwell.

Burwell says she tries to keep certain items out of their reach.

"They can't have grapes, can't have onions, can't have chocolates, that's a huge one. And they can't have anything that would be hazardous to a humans health, poisons and medicines." said Burwell.

What about when your dogs go outside?

Dr. James Southard says you should do an inventory of your yard.

"Go back there and look for mushrooms, look for poisons, mole baits things like that." said Dr. James Southard, a Veterinarian.

There are plenty of plants that are also poisonous too, like rhododendrons.

"Oleanders is one of them, with Easter coming. Easter lilies are toxic, especially to cats." said Dr. Southard.

Dogs will eat grass, but watch out they also eat mulch.

"Smell it and it smells good and they eat it and it can be fatal." said Burwell.

So how do you know your dog has eaten something poisonous?

There are some signs.

"Pacing, retching, stretching. They're restless a lot of times their stomach will be distended." said Burwell.

If need be you can also induce vomiting.

"You can give them a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, three percent and follow that in 10 minutes with another dose up to three doses." said Dr. Southard.

Overall just be aware and when in doubt call your vet.

Remember to keep your dogs inside if you are hiding candy filled Easter eggs in your yard, especially if they have chocolate inside and vets say after it rains watch out for poisonous mushrooms they can pop up quickly.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 89480992 - wkyt.com/a?a=89480992