Good Question: What resources are there for collecting child support from a deadbeat dad who lives in another city?

Just last week Laurel County officials announced something they hoped would get the attention of deadbeat parents.

They received permission from the state to start suspending' drivers licenses, concealed weapons permits or professional licenses for parents who are at least $1000 behind in child support.

Good Question: Debbie, Corbin -What resources are there for collecting child support from a deadbeat dad who lives in another city?

Every Kentucky county has a list of parents who don't pay child support.

And when you don't pay, police come looking for you.

In May, Laurel County officials went looking for those accused of being deadbeat parents.

"We have 305,000," said Deputy Commissioner Steve Veno with the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.

Of those 200,000 are paying, but its the other 105,000 that can be the issue.

While that number is high, Veno says Kentucky does a fairly good job on collecting child support.

"Our collection rate is in the 60% range which is right at the national average," said Veno.

But still there are those that are accused of not paying.

When someone doesn't pay what they are supposed to it can be frustrating for the other parent or family members trying to take care of the child stuck in the middle.

So what do you do when someone isn't paying?

Veno says its as simple as stopping by the County Attorney's office.

"Our program contracts with most of the county attorney's across the Commonwealth for child support local services. here in Fayette County you would simply go to the Fayette County Attorney's office and they would open a case for you," said Veno.

Veno says if you have a problem with someone out of state it works the same way.

"We have reciprocal laws with other states where we can ask for assistance with another state and they would enforce our obligation," said Veno.

In the end Veno says to avoid a knock at your door, or your name on a list, he says just pay up.

Veno says to make sure you have as much information as possible when making a case, all documents especially court orders.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128049763 -
Gray Television, Inc.