Christy Wesley says her daughter came home from school the day before fall break, telling her parents of a terrifying experience at recess. Wesley says her 5-year-old said she was bitten by a snake on the Junction City Elementary playground.
“She told two teachers and one of them said they would put a Band-Aid on it, and they apparently forgot to give her a Band-Aid,” says Wesley.
Wesley took her daughter to the doctor and was told her she was probably bitten by a poisonous snake. Then later that night, “Friday night, [at] 2AM, she wakes up screaming and we took her to the hospital. The doctor told her it was bone pain. When it struck her ankle, it radiated up her bone,” said Wesley.
She says another student also witnessed the bite. But she claims no teacher or other school official took any action to contact her.
However, the Boyle County superintendent says teachers and the principal told him they were not made aware of anything on the playground that day.
“They've had all week, but today we get letters in the pack back stating that students come first, their health and safety come first,” said Wesley, holding up the letter she found in her daughter’s backpack Thursday.
Wesley says they don't know what kind of snake it was, but thinks it could have been a copperhead.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.