Investigators tell 27NEWSFIRST a deadly house fire sparked around 5:00 Monday morning on Thompson Road, near Monticello in Wayne County.
Police say a neighbor who saw flames coming from the home called 911. The neighbor then quickly woke up two sisters who live in the home and helped them escape.
Police say that's when things turned deadly. 46-year-old Irene Thompson, who had down syndrome, ran back inside the burning home to get some belongings. Thompson's sister, 58-year-old Helen Dowdy ran back inside after her, but Thompson died in the fire.
We're told Dowdy made it out of the fire, but suffered burns.
Police say they believe an overloaded electric circuit caused the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.