Fire crews in Lexington rushed to a report of an apartment fire on Friday morning.
Someone reported seeing smoke coming from the roof of the Patchen Apartments off Richmond Road at around 9:30.
Firefighters say the fire started in a furnace room and quickly spread into the attic.
Firefighters say they are lucky someone spotted the smoke when they did because if the fire had spread through the attic, it could have heavily damaged the entire building.
No one was in the apartment at the time, but crews did rescue two dogs from the room.