Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about on Tuesday:
1. SANDY SLAMS ASHORE, PUSHING WALL OF WATER INTO NYC
Tunnels and subway stations are flooded. Across the East, millions lose power.
2. DANGER DANGLES ABOVE NYC STREET
A crane atop a 74-story building collapsed in high wind and hung limp above the sidewalk, forcing evacuations on the street and nearby buildings.
3. HOW SANDY RAINED ON THE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN
Obama switched from campaigner to hands-on commander of the federal response to the superstorm, while Romney curtailed events and urged donations to relief efforts.
4. SYRIAN CEASE-FIRE ENDS IN FAILURE
The death toll during what was supposed to have been a four-day truce exceeded 500.
5. ECONOMIC THREATS FACING THE NEXT PRESIDENT
An AP survey of 31 economists says a weaker European economy and tax disputes in Congress are among the challenges the election winner will have to grapple with.
6. FEARING FOR THE FUTURE, COPTIC CHRISTIANS VOTE ON A NEW POPE
The spiritual leader will have to help the ancient Egyptian church assert its identity and rights amid a rising tide of Islamism.
7. HOW SOCIAL MEDIA COULD IMPACT THE ZIMMERMAN TRIAL
Prosecutors fear that potential jurors could be influenced by social media posts, but a judge rejects a request for a gag order in the racially charged case.
8. MICROSOFT TAKES A BITE AT APPLE
New version of the Windows Phone is meant to compete with the more-popular iPhone, as well as Android devices.
9. NUMBER OF DAYTIME TALK SHOWS SHRINKS A BIT
Anderson Cooper's TV chatfest is ending, victim of low ratings.
10. FRISCO QB IS NEARLY FLAWLESS
Alex Smith completes 18 of 19 passes and tosses three TDs as 49ers rip Arizona 24-3.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)