Kentucky Local News, Weather, Sports | Lexington, KY | WKYT

Report: Gas vapors caused Kansas City restaurant fire

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Federal and local officials say a fatal explosion and fire at a Kansas City restaurant last month were sparked by natural gas vapors inside the popular business.

The Kansas City Fire Department and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Wednesday the cause of the Feb. 19 blast at JJ's restaurant was the "accidental ignition of natural gas vapors that accumulated" inside the restaurant.

The explosion and fire injured 16 people and killed a 46-year-old woman who worked at the restaurant near the busy outdoor shopping area called the Country Club Plaza.

The Missouri Public Service Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are conducting a separate investigation into the cause of the natural gas line break near JJ's.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 197906371 - wkyt.com/a?a=197906371
Gray Television, Inc.