Lexington police say they understand that taxpayer dollars buy their gas, and that taxpayer dollars are precious.
So the department is making steps to conserve gas. But the one step the department is not willing to take right now is eliminate the take home car program.
That provision allows police officers to drive their vehicles even when they are off duty. Police officials believe this increased presence on the roads make the city safer.
But here's what the department is doing:
* Adding more bike officers
* Increasing the number of officers who do foot patrols
* Putting two officers in a vehicle instead of one
* Carpooling to meetings and training sessions
* Using motorcycles and bicycles instead of police cruisers.