Two Women Injured In Apartment Fire

Two women are in the hospital after a fire in their Lexington apartment early Wednesday morning.

It broke out on Camelot Drive, off Wilson Downing.

A mattress caught on fire with one woman sleeping on it. Firefighters say the elderly, bedridden woman may have fell asleep with a lighted cigarette.

She went to the hospital with 2nd degree burns. Her daughter-in-law was also taken to UK Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say the damage was limited to the mattress in the bedroom and the family can go back in at any time.

A barking dog in the apartment above the one that caught fire may have kept the situation from turning deadly.

The woman who was burned says the dog's barking woke her up an allowed her to call for help.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus