An early morning fire destroys a barn in Madison County. It was reported just before five Wednesday morning on Muleshed Road, just off Bogie Road at Barnes Mill Road.
Family members of the land owner say flames quickly tore down a barn that stood on the property for 70 years.
They say because of the remote location, it took crews about half-an-hour to get there.
Madison County Firefighters were joined by crews from Kirksville and at least one fireman from Richmond's Department.
"I was on duty, got the call my father's barn was on fire," explained Captain Wayne Long.
He says when he got that call, raced out to his parent's property to see if he could help. He says his parents stored hay and some old tobacco sticks inside the barn.
"We didn't loose any machinery or livestock. We're thankful for that," he said.
Long says he thinks the hay inside the barn may have sparked the flames. He says it has been stored in the barn for a while and may have gotten too hot and combusted. He says there is not any electricity running to the barn.
"Its a good barn. Expensive to replace., but we can always replace that easier than a life," he said.
While it may be expensive to replace, Long says his parents may rebuild in the future.
Fire crews say they are waiting for the fire to burn out completely before they name an official cause.