Children Narrowly Escape Fire, Suffer Serious Burns

By  | 

Three children are recovering from burns after their house catches fire.

The fire broke out early Monday morning at a mobile home on R.D. Rains Road near Williamsburg.

Six people were inside at the time. Two adults suffered minor injuries. Another child was not hurt.

But 9-month-old twins, Colt and Zoey Stephens, and their 2-year-old brother, Andrew, suffered first and second degree burns. They were taken to Kentucky Children's Hospital in Lexington.

"I can't stop thinking about it, i still makes me want to cry," said Joe Stephens, the children's father.

Stephens along with several others had to bust down the front door of the home to reach the children, who were trapped in a room next to where the fire started.

"It was so hot and the smoke was really thick, I couldn't breathe, but I knew I had to get in," Stephens said.

Like his children, Joe suffered first and second degree burns on his arms and hands.

Investigators think a cigarette next to a couch in the home's living room started the fire. The home is considered a total loss.

"As long as their was no loss of life, I'm ok with that," Stephens went on to say.

The children are expected to recover. Two-year old, Andrew was released from Kentucky Children's Hospital overnight Tuesday. Twins, Colt and Zoey, are listed in fair condition.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus