Georgetown Fire Displaces Several Families

By  | 

Several families are out of their homes after a fire ripped through a Scott County apartment complex.

The fire started late Saturday night in Georgetown on Scotland Drive at the Overlook Apartments near Paris Pike.

One unit was gutted by the flames and another heavily damaged by smoke.

Fire officials say a cigarette is to blame. According to the resident where the fire started, 51 year-old, Brenda Gaither, says while in bed she dropped a cigarette which caught the sheets on fire.

Gaither, who is on oxygen for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or COPD had to crawl out of her burning apartment. She lost everything.

"All of her clothes, money, pictures, everything, all of it is gone," said Angie Brake, the victim's daughter.

Brake says what makes it worse, just two-months ago her mother was robbed at gunpoint by four-men in the same apartment.

"What's next?" said Brake. "It's like a down spiral, I'm thankful my mom is still alive, they didn't shoot her and she made it out of this fire alive."

Several other apartments suffered heavy smoke and water damage displacing those people too.

The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

If you would like to help Brenda Gaither in anyway, you can call this number (502) 370-4582.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus