An expectant Lexington mom was cooking at the stove Monday night when she started having contractions.
Her fiance rushed her to the hospital, but apparently they left the stove on, and the resulting fire left her family with an uncertain future.
Marie Raber's burned out stove was sitting in the yard on Tuesday. The night before, doctors at St. Joseph Hospital had already decided Marie was not quite ready to have the baby when she got a distressing message. Raber tells 27 NEWSFIRST, "They were getting ready to discharge me, and I had a voice-mail and it was my father in a panic voice saying that my home was on fire."
The last thing nurses at the hospital had told her fiance, William Walker, was to keep Marie away from any stressful situations as much as possible.
Walker says, "I'm very worried about her. It is a lot of stress, but I am a happy type person. I just hope for the best."
Marie's son, Rohan, turned 5 years old on Tuesday, and this was no way to celebrate. His mom says, "I think it's going to be traumatic for him because we dealt with a fire once before. We lived over at Westminster Village, and the top floor caught fire. We had to move out of there, and we lost all of his stuff due to water damage."
The Red Cross put William and Marie up at the La Quinta Monday night, but it's going to take a lot of work to make their home livable again, and the family's immediate future is now full of question marks.
Marie says, "I don't know where we're going to stay. How do you raise a family with no home?"
The La Quinta agreed to let the family stay there for a second night, but the smoke damage in their trailer off Newtown Pike was extensive, and the kitchen was pretty much a total loss. It could take weeks to complete the repairs.
The good news is the trailer was insured, and William does have a job. He says, "In these days and times, to have that alone is a real blessing."