A radioactive, cancer-causing gas has been found in high levels at one Scott County Elementary School.
Scott County Schools officials say dangerous levels of radon have been detected at Garth Elementary. The gas was discovered early this week after a series of air quality tests at the eighty year old school. Officials say the highest levels of radon were found in the gymnasium, and and classroom--both of which are in a sub-basement level of the building.
School officials already have plans in place to mitigate the radon, but they want parents to know exactly what's going on. An informational meeting will be held at Garth Elementary on Wednesday, January 14, at 6:30 p.m.