Pharmacy Made Mistake In Horse Drug

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A Florida pharmacy says it made a
mistake when it prepared a medication for 21 polo horses ahead of the U.S. Open Polo Championship.

The horses became sick and died just before a championship match
last weekend.

The pharmacy's chief operating officer says the mistake involved the strength of an ingredient in the supplement, which was prepared from a veterinarian's order.

She says the pharmacy's internal report is being sent to state authorities.

The horses were from a Venezualan-owned polo team. The team tells AP that a Florida vet wrote the prescription for the pharmacy to make a vitamin and mineral compound. The statement says only the horses that were given the compound got sick.

The other horses remain "healthy and normal.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus