Wednesday morning, fire ripped through a Frankfort home, burning away the roof, singeing the walls, and melting anything that came in the path of the flames.
Greg Hays was able to sift through the ashes to find one thing.
Hays pried open a melted tin can to find pictures of his four year old son.
Luckily, the little boy wasn't in the home the morning of the fire.
"I don't know what I would have done if he'd been here. He sleeps with me. We would have gotten out one way or another. I would not have left without him, no way," said Hays.
Hays says he's certain, if it wasn't for the smoke alarm sounding, he wouldn't be alive.
Hays is asking local business to donate smoke detectors to fire departments so they can go to families who need them.