Suspected robber killed in Louisville area standoff

LOUISVILLE, KY -- A suspected bank robber died Saturday night after police shot him during a nearly five-hour standoff in a residential Jeffersonville, Ind., neighborhood, reports The Louisville Courier-Journal in its Sunday edition.

The man, whose name has not been released, was struck by several rounds after he exited his truck and pointed his loaded gun at officers, Jeffersonville Police Detective Todd Hollis said.

Hollis said police first fired two rounds of rubber bullets, which knocked the man to the ground. But the man stood up and moved towards officers in a nearby church parking lot. Police repeatedly yelled for the man to drop his gun.

"It didn't appear at any time that he was surrendering, because he would not release the weapon," Hollis said.

The man was taken to University Hospital, where he died a short time later, Hollis said,

The chain of events on Springdale Drive near Eighth Street, between two churches and one block from the Clark County Chapter of the Red Cross, unfolded after the man allegedly robbed a US Bank branch at a Jeffersonville Meijer store shortly before 1:30 p.m.

Hollis said a bank teller who followed the man out of the bank alerted authorities to his location. An off-duty Jeffersonville Police Department officer pulled over the man, who refused to leave his vehicle,

A standoff ensued, with neighbors and onlookers coming out of their houses on a humid afternoon. Police closed down a network of nearby streets, fearing the man might drive to a different spot.

As the afternoon passed, the man sat in a white Dodge Ram pickup truck speaking with police negotiators by cell phone, occasionally opening the driver's side door.

Hollis said the man refused several requests, such as removing the keys from the truck and tossing them out "as a sign of good faith" during negotiations.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m., the man opened the driver's side door. He closed it a few minutes later.

The standoff lasted until about 6:15 p.m., when the suspect stepped out of the truck. Clutching his gun, he walked towards Eighth Street and was shot twice with the rubber bullets, Hollis said.

Copyright - The Louisville Courier-Journal

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus