Scattered showers and storms continue to push across the region. Local high water issues remain possible through the evening.
Carbon monoxide is a clear, odorless, tasteless gas, and it can be deadly. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in America.
In your home, carbon monoxide is produced in some furnaces and water heaters, but if your home isn't vented properly the carbon monoxide can be trapped, posing a danger to you and your family.
That's what happened to one Lexington woman this morning.
"I was sleeping and then my carbon monoxide alarm went off. It woke me up," said Jennifer Parr.
Parr was sound asleep Friday morning when her carbon monoxide detector woke her. She says at first she didn't believe the alarm should be going off so she checked the batteries in her carbon monoxide detector.
"I though maybe it's a fluke and it wasn't. About two minutes later it went off again," Parr said.
That's when she called 911 for help. Parr recently had a vent-free gas fireplace installed in her house.
"I think it is leaking carbon monoxide,," said Parr.
While she may not have believed it at first, Parr now says it saved her life.
"If I hadn't had the carbon monoxide detector it could have built up over time and I could have not woke up. Especially with my kids here," said Parr.
For more information on states with laws requiring carbon monoxide detectors and safety regulations visit this website: HTTP://WWW.NEMA.ORG