Man killed at busy drive-in

By  | 

One man is dead and another is behind bars after a shooting at a busy hang out in Corbin.

Police were called to The Root Beer Stand on 18th Street just after 10:00 P.M. Friday. They found 38-year-old Todd Carter with a gunshot wound. 55-year-old Larry Wilson is now charged with murder and wanton endangerment.

There are no customers at The Root Beer Stand today, but neighbors tell me at least 30 people were in this parking lot late Friday night when shots rang out.

It's a Corbin icon, but Friday night The Root Beer Stand became a murder scene.

"I seen sirens, fire trucks. This place was just crazy. There was ambulances everywhere," said Deborah Hackler.

Hackler lives right next to the drive-in, and says what happened here hits close to home, in more ways than one.

"I went to school with this boy. He was a real good friend of mine. He'll be greatly missed," added Hackler.

Police say Larry Wilson and Todd Carter were fighting at Wilson's tow truck in the parking lot before Carter was shot in the chest. Police say the round also hit a car, just missing a small child. Neighbors across the street say police spent hours looking for that bullet.

"I was sitting right inside this house too. I could have bounced right into the the window and hit anything you know. Got pretty lucky," said Shane Smiddy.

Hackler says Carter lived in Woodbine and worked for an insulated panel business. He was also a husband and father.

"As far as I know, they have a good family life. They have a child, I know that. They just moved into a new home, you know, I just can't believe this happened. It's just a tragedy," said Hackler.

The motive remains unclear.

Neighbors also tell us that the victim's wife works at The Root Beer Stand, but they say they are unsure what may have led up to the shooting.

Larry Wilson is held tonight at the Whitley County Detention Center.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus