Dead Batteries Could Have Led To Tragedy

A Lexington man and his mother consider themselves two of the luckiest people in town after they escaped a morning fire in their home. The family says they had smoke detectors, but they were not working.

Doug Lacefield and his mother, Mary, were asleep in their Furlong Road home when the fire started around 6:00 Monday morning.

Lacefield said he got down on his hands and knees and crawled downstairs to wake his mom. They were both able to get out of the house safely.

Even though the fire was contained to an upstairs bedroom and the attic, Lacefield lost most of his belongings.

Fire officials say they think a faulty extension cord is what sparked the fire.

Firefighters says this should serve as a reminder to people to check their smoke detectors and make sure the batteries are good.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus