Handicapped Man Pulled From Burning Home

Neighbors are being credited with saving the life of and elderly Lexington man and his pets.

Fire broke out Thursday afternoon at a home on a Radcliffe Road. Firefighters say it started in an RV in the driveway. The homeowner apparently started the vehicle for the first time in a while and it backfired, which caught the house on fire.

Neighbors broke in the door to the home to reach the elderly handicapped man who lives there. After they brought him to safety, they went back in the home to rescue three dogs and four tropical birds.

Firefighers say the elderly man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say when they arrived, the home was fully engulfed and say without the help of neighbors, this story might have had a much more tragic ending.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus