Building catches fire in downtown Lexington

A historical building in downtown Lexington catches fire after workers accidentally hit power lines while working to restore the building.

Built in 1870 the building is owned by Broadway Christian Church which is directly across the street. As part of a restoration they had begun removing the metal roof. Around 8 am a piece of that metal struck a nearby powerline causing a current of electricity to run through the roof.

Fire crews were quickly on the scene to put out a small fire as well as check the remainder of the roof for hotspots that could ignite.

Officials did have to close one lane of Broadway when they first arrived one scene. It's since been reopened. Church members still plan on having this building ready to use by spring.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 68850832 - wkyt.com/a?a=68850832
Gray Television, Inc.