Early Morning Fire Rips Through Business

A central Kentucky business in ruins today after a two alarm fire.

The fire broke out just before three Monday morning in Winchester at Sam's Floor Covering on Talbot Avenue. That's near downtown.

When firefighters arrived, the building was fully engulfed in flames. The fire ripped through the one of several warehouses, staying mostly in the showroom, office area and second floor.

The owner says all the samples, paperwork and other items needed for everyday operations were destroyed. The inside of the building is gutted.

Just before the fire alarm went off, investigators say a burglary alarm was triggered. But right now, they don't believe this fire is suspicious.

Firefighters don't know what started the fire or where it started at this point in the investigation.

For a time, there was concern that combustible materials in the building would make the fire a lot worse, but crews were able to knock down the flames before things got too dangerous.

The owner says he'll operate through his showroom in Mt. Sterling until he can get things up an running again in Winchester.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus