Mayor Jim Newberry is again warning Lexington citizens about the dangers of fire code violations.
This latest warning comes after a group of Transylvania University students escaped their burning home on North Broadway early Tuesday morning.
The mayor says that house was full of fire code violations, including locks on the doors. If the fire, which started in the attic, had started or spread differently, the code violations could have created a dangerous situation, say officials. Building inspectors have condemned the property.
The mayor says Tuesday morning's fire ended well, but continuing to ignore fire code violations is in essence "tempting fate". The mayor is encouraging anyone who believes their rental property may be in severe violation of the fire code to contact the fire inspector or code enforcement. You can reach those offices by calling LexCall 311.