Christmas lights cause fire that burns boy

By: Elizabeth Dorsett Email
By: Elizabeth Dorsett Email

A four-year-old child is recovering in the hospital after crews say a couch he was sleeping on caught fire.

Firefighters credit the boy's father with saving his life. After his rescue, he was rushed to the hospital with burns on eighty-percent of his body.

Officials say the fire started in the living room of the trailer the boy shared with his family on Kentucky 11 South in Mason County.

Investigators believe the fire started in an outlet that was over-loaded with Christmas lights. They say the family had a number of cords plugged in, including the Christmas tree.

The boy was sleeping on the couch right next to the outlet. Firefighters say his parents woke up to the smell of smoke and sprang into action.
The boy's mother ran out the back door while his father ran through the flames to rescue the boy.

"I'm sure the child was already knocked out from smoke inhalation with the fire. Luckily, parents woke up at that time," explained Captain David Kalib with the Lewisburg Fire Department.

Kalib says the boy suffered burns to his feet, torso and head. He was airlifted to the Children's Hospital in Cincinnati and then to the burn unit at Shriner's.

Investigators say there weren't any smoke detectors in the home. Kalib says this should serve as a reminder to everyone to check their smoke detectors all; year round. He says this family may have escaped the home without injury if they'd had them.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 79096317 - wkyt.com/a?a=79096317
Gray Television, Inc.