The owners of Double R farm spent more than a year building the barn. Last night they watched it burn to the ground in hours.
A police officer spotted the blaze and by the time firefighters were on scene there was nothing they could do.
The intensity of the flames meant there was no way to save the barn, or the horse inside. The horse, Stone Wild, was the sire of a Belmont winner and was staying in the barn because it had a sore shoulder. Watching all that effort go up in flames wasn't easy for the farm's owner,
The barn was built in hopes of housing horses during the World Equestrian Games. The circumstances surrounding the fire seem suspicious to the owners. The State Fire Marshall is investigating.