Kentucky Local News, Weather, Sports | Lexington, KY | WKYT

Apartment fire started by child playing with lighter

Neighbors had to scramble to get people out after fire broke out Tuesday afternoon at Southern Oaks Apartments on Fairfax Way in Georgetown. Firefighters say a young child started a fire in her apartment while playing with a cigarette lighter near a bed in an upstairs bedroom.

The child ran downstairs and told her mother about the fire, who was able to get the family out. Neighbors were also evacuated while firefighters fought to put the flames out.

Fire crews managed to get the fire out quickly, but the apartment where it started did suffer smoke and fire damage. None of the neighboring apartments suffered any damage.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 82112027 - wkyt.com/a?a=82112027
Gray Television, Inc.