Kentucky Local News, Weather, Sports | Lexington, KY | WKYT

$3.7 Million Verdict Reached Against Fayette Co. Schools

More Video...

A Fayette County jury Thursday awarded $3.7 million to a Lexington woman, who claimed the Fayette County School District covered up sexual abuse.

Carol Maner filed a lawsuit, saying she and two other students were sexually abused while students at Beaumont Middle School in the late 70's and early 80's.

Today's verdict comes after days of testimony in a civil trial. The jury was handed the case around 11:30 Thursday morning, and returned with their verdict just after 5:00.

Maner claimed Fayette County school officials knew about the alleged abuse, but did nothing about it.

Maner's attorney called today's multi-million dollar verdict "overwhelming."

Two former teachers are now facing charges for the alleged abuse.

Roberta Walter and Jack Hubbard were arrested last week. Both face rape and sodomy charges.

Meanwhile, Fayette County Schools Superintendent Stu Silberman released a statement after Thursday's Verdict.

"I just want to reiterate for our community that this trial was about the 1970s and that none of the people even discussed in the case are currently employed with the school district," he said. "The school district was covered by an insurance policy from the 1970s and if this case is finalized, we are hoping that the settlement will not take resources away from our students."

"I cannot comment about the subject of the case or what may or may not have happened 30 years ago," Silberman said.

Silberman went on to say that the Fayette County School District takes all allegations against it seriously.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8608212 - wkyt.com/a?a=8608212
Gray Television, Inc.