Ammonia Leak Causes Workers To Evacuate At Nestle

An ammonia leak forces everyone inside the Nestle Plant in Mount Sterling to evacuate.

It happened around 8 p.m. Sunday.

Firefighters say most employees have been sent home and those that were scheduled to come in were turned around.

Just before 8 p.m., emergency crews rushed to the scene; fearing a repeat of an explosion at the same plant just last month.

This time it was an ammonia leak on the roof.

Montgomery County Fire Major Tony Clayton says a visible plum could be seen over the building.

He says 20 or so employees were evacuated, and the plant's haz-mat crew took care of the situation with no one breathing in the ammonia.
The plant still hasn't recovered from last month's explosion, stating that many workers have not returned while repairs are made.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8800717 - wkyt.com/a?a=8800717
Gray Television, Inc.