Chimpanzee attack victim released from hospital

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut woman who lost her hands
and much of her face when she was mauled by a chimpanzee has moved
from an Ohio hospital to a Boston-area assisted-living center,
where she plans to continue rehabilitation and hopes for more
reconstructive surgery, her family's lawyer said Friday.
Bill Monaco, an attorney for the family of Charla Nash, told The
Associated Press that Nash was discharged from the Cleveland Clinic
on Thursday night and flown by private plane to the Boston area. He
said the family is trying to keep her location private.
"She's going to be learning some skills necessary to become
independent," said Monaco, who works out of Hauppauge, N.Y., on
Long Island. "She needs a rehab facility while they assess what
they can do for her in the future."
The 200-pound pet chimpanzee went berserk in February 2009 after
its owner asked Nash to help lure it back into her house in
Stamford, Conn. The animal ripped off Nash's hands, nose, lips and
Doctors at the Cleveland Clinic have done all they can do for
Nash, who has had multiple surgeries, Monaco said. Nash's goal is
to have more reconstructive surgery and learn to live
The Cleveland Clinic released a statement Friday.
"Ms. Charla Nash has made great progress in her recovery. She
is doing well and has been discharged from the Cleveland Clinic.
Throughout her stay she has touched the lives of many of our
employees; we wish Charla and her family all the best," the
statement said.
The clinic, which in 2008 performed the nation's first face
transplant but has not done hand transplants, told Nash's family in
January that she is not a candidate for a face and hand transplant.
Nash was brought to the clinic soon after the attack. She
revealed her heavily disfigured face in November on "The Oprah
Winfrey Show."
Nash's family is suing the chimpanzee's owner, Sandra Herold,
for $50 million and wants to sue the state for $150 million, saying
state officials failed to prevent the attack.
The chimp, named Travis, was shot and killed by police, and
tests showed he had the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in his system. The
chimp had also escaped in 2003 from his owner's car and led police
on a chase for hours in downtown Stamford. No one was injured.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus